Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dark days

I've make it no secret that I've been frustrated lately. I've been sidelined not only with the markets but also with the other game I love - soccer and sports in general. I've had this annoying lower abdomen/groin injury for 2 months.  A groin strain is the worst strain you can get because it fucking lingers and when just you think it's healed, as soon as you put it to the test with a hard sprint or 50/50 challenge against another player you realize that it's not and you're back to square 1.  This is  the 3rd time I've had a major groin injury. The first time it happened I was 14 and I was out of action for over a year - I hurt it quite bad whereby just coughing would cause pain.  The 2nd time was the spring of 2010 and it took 6 months to heal. The birth of my daughter that year counter acted the frustration. 

And now here I am again suffering for the 3rd time. Let me tell you some thing about groin injuries. When you first start feeling a bit of pain in that area STOP PLAYING! Also,  DO NOT attempt any rehab until the pain is completely gone because it will only aggravate it. Trust me on this. Only rest and time can heal it. I didn't seem to learn my lesson though this time around because I was so eager to play again.

Although bad luck had a part to do with I really have nobody to blame but myself for this injury. Although I always warm up before games, I don't stretch enough on a regular basis and strength train my abductor area and given how inflexible and injury prone I am, I should have been doing so. Also, I first started feeling the pain in June and if I had stopped playing then I would have been out for probably 2 weeks or so but I "played through the pain" until the point where it was unbearable and by doing so I made the injury a lot worse. 

This brings me to the occupy movements around the world. Although there are some valid reasons for protest, I get the sense that a lot of these people are whiners and complainers and should look in the mirror to see who's really to blame for their lack of success in life. This is going to sound very harsh but losers tend to  blame others, complain and have the "why me?" attitude when they fail. Winners persevere through tough times by learning from mistakes, working hard and believing in themselves. They take control over their destiny as much as they can. They don't mope around and hope politicians or others are going to solve their problems. I know there's been a lot of praise about Steve Jobs and what he has achieved but If you looked at what made him successful in life aside from his outside the box thinking, it was his attitude towards life.... it was a winner's attitude. If you haven't yet done so, go to youtube and search standford speech 2005 and listen to it. It's well worth the 15 minutes.

But here's the cold hard reality of it all. In a capitalistic society such as ours only a small minority are going to be winners while the rest wallow in mediocracy or less. If you do the things that most people are unable or not willing to do you'll maximize your odds of being  a winner....and those things tend to be difficult or unpleasant.


5 comments:

  1. Ouch! Rest up. I did the same to my rotator cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's not really that painful....more of an annoying pain than anything and it only hurts if I run. I've been dying to play....it's like drug withdrawal. Not much I can do though which makes it very frustrating...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a old Bloomberg interview with Marc Fabre I think you might find it interesting.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfuiNjvH9_c

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see that he briefly mentions his belief that there will eventually be a complete financial collapse in the not too distant future which is the sort of "end game" possibility I was talking about that we need to respect.

    well let me say this....if we do see the end game you're going to see the market go down basically in a straight line into an oblivion whereby just like in 2008, most bears will not have even come close to making the money they should have on the short side and then turn bull too early getting ran over going bust in the process. In the crash of 1929 whereby the Dow lost 90% in 3 years this is exactly what happened.

    As of right now though, there's nothing to suggest the end game appears immanent at this point but as I pointed out in a recent post, if there was ever a time for it to happen it would be now because if this crisis is handled poorly or if there is simply nothing anyone can really do about even with the bailout and it triggers a downward spiral, we're screwed because rates can't go lower to stimulate more borrowing and governments have their hands tied when it comes to spending their way out because of austerity .....the only way they would be able to do major spending is if there was WW3. I suppose QE 3,4,5 is an option but each round is going to have diminishing impact if any at all.

    but look, I don't want to get too negative because the public is quite negative whereby in the past major bottoms were made. I realize though that if we see the endgame none of this matters because negativity will be justified but let's be honest, betting on that outcome means you are betting that Jay Leno and my buddies on facebook are going to be relatively "early" with their pessimism about the economy. That alone tells me that there's more than a decent chance that somehow, someway there will be a bullish resolution to this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not even sure if we are gonna see QE3. Don't we have to see much softer econ numbers for Bernanke and Yellen to convince the hawks that growth is more important than inflation? 2.5 doesn't seem to be enough of a trigger imo.

    Beside I am not sure what the credit market is saying but certainly equity market is up on euphoria on this debt deal. Hey I am not complaining because I was actually 50% invested before today's massive pop. But it seems to me investors are getting a little too excited when we don't even have all the details yet.

    ReplyDelete